Looking ahead to 2023, it can be exciting to plan ahead and daydream about all the traveling you can do for the year!
But you may be wondering what will be the emerging travel trends that you should be aware about? Where are the places more people want to go and travel to? What will be important to us when traveling in 2023?
Well, you're in luck! Last November 17, 2022, Expedia Group released a comprehensive study on the travel trends for 2023 - sourced from an online survey of 24,000 adults, from 17 countries, who are planning domestic or international travel in the next 36 months. Let's get into it!
First off, streaming movies and TV shows are becoming the top sources of travel inspiration (40%) on par with "advice and recommendations from friends & family", outpacing the influence of social media (31%).
In all honesty, I am not totally surprised! I discover and yearn to travel to some many different and new countries I find in TV shows or films every year! To see so many people adopt the same behavior seems understandable to me!
Can you guess which TV show has inspired the most travel plans? Here are some notable ones, in no particular order:
- New York (as seen in Inventing Anna and Sex and the City)
- Paris (Emily in Paris)
- New Zealand (The Lord of the Rings and The Rings of Power)
- Hawaii (The White Lotus)
- UK (Bridgerton and The Crown)
Some Booking Tips!
Best day to book: Sunday.Expedia's Air Hacks
Best lead time for flights: One month in advance for domestic. Six months in advance for international.
Best day to depart: Wednesday.
Back to the Urban Hustle
Next, for the past two COVID-19 pandemic-filled years, outdoor parks and remote locations have been the more popular travel spots. But, with many COVID-19 restrictions being loosened globally, cities and urban landscapes are set to make a big comeback!
The destinations set to see the largest increases in tourism are "culture-rich cities where arts and cultural festivities are getting back to full swing." Travelers seem to be ready to jump back into the buzz and heart of the action!
Quicker Stays, Less Pay
Next, according to the study, travelers aren't splurging on big, blow-out luxury getaways as much now and are instead, valuing shorter and more affordable stays. This is leading to an increase in popularity for 3 star hotels.
Fewer stars don't mean compromising on quality, however. Not only do these properties offer lower rates, but they also offer more than adequate amenities and even includes free breakfast and toiletries. This is perfect for travelers, who seem more concerned for value for money for their trips than ever before.
Quick Hit Trends
- Global travelers are more open to unconventional or adventurous wellness experiences (i.e. sylvotherapy, puppy yoga, chakra sessions, etc.)
- Travelers looking for rentals think of kitchen amenities as an important criteria, not only to cut on cost, but also to bond with friends/family.
- The top 5 cooking amenities are outdoor kitchens/barbeques (50%), fancy coffee machines (37%), air fryers (30%), pizza ovens (25%) and access to gardens with fresh produce (24%).
- Rustic getaways are on the rise, as travelers are looking for country homes with loads of space and lovely countryside views.
- There is also a study that shows the highest levels of travel optimism since 2020. Most professionals expect leisure (71%) and business (70%) travel to return to pre-2020 levels within two years.
- Travelers are choosing options aligned with their personal values such as sustainability, inclusivity and accessibility.
- Sustainability is tied with marketing as the highest area of investment for 2023, with one in five industry professionals saying they plan to invest in sustainability next year.
These trends are a great way to feel out how most travelers are planning out their travels for the coming year and helps in reflecting what your travel priorities are for 2023!
So what travels are you planning for in 2023? How optimistic are you to travel soon? Do you agree with these travel trends for 2023? Which trend speaks to you the most?
Plan Ahead with MiTravel!
It can be a daunting task to plan a year's worth of adventures on your own. Well, you're in luck 'cuz we have the best side-kick for you - MiTravel!
Sign up today to explore, test, and build your own MiTravel Planning Board and begin your stress-free 2023 trip planning.